Sunday, July 23, 2006

Male/Female Birthday Gifts

Tomorrow will be Hubby D's birthday. He is a year older than I. (Yes, that is correct even though it doesn't sound right.) Yesterday, I asked if there was anything in particular that he would like for his birthday. His answer---an air compressor. For his birthday? Yes, men and women have fairly different ideas about what constitutes a good present. Men---practical. Women---anything but practical. I know this is a generalization but I'm pretty sure that it's that way at least 85% of the time.

One of those discussions we had before we got married was about the appropriateness of presents. My ex-brother-in-law(notice the ex) bought my sister an electric knife (or was it a teflon pan) one year for some present. It was not well received. I also remember Mom not always being enthusiastic when Dad would pop in with those type things. To keep this from happening, we have an understanding if I get something practical, there better be something fru fru with it. He has never failed me in almost 35 years. I know on the other hand that he wants that practical gift that he can't justify spending that kind of money on for himself. It is one of those not completely necessary but it would be nice to have things.

So, D got an air compressor for his birthday, and yes, he picked it out himself. You can't beat SEARS for those things. Now, if a tire is low, we don't have to drive all over town looking for an air hose that hasn't been vandalized. Try any of the quickie stores, and sure enough someone has cut or ripped up the air hoses. I know the absence of air hoses in town is the bane of most people's existence so I feel really good knowing that I have done my part to at least make one person happy. He no longer has to rant and rave about the idiocy of those *&#*#@% who destroy public property for no apparent reason. Because I like to buy gifts, I also got him some manly boxers and a couple of flat garden hoses that he doesn't know about. Wow, will he surprised tomorrow. I love that too.

We also had the discussion before we got married about how bad he is about remembering dates. He doesn't even realize when it is getting close to his own birthday. He told me that he would not remember unless I reminded him so I remind him. A few weeks before the important event I say, "Honey, do you know what important date is coming up? It is August."

Being the perceptive man that he is, he knows immediately that my birthday is looming and it is time to get busy shopping. He even likes to shop for me. I know. He is a jewel. The clothes he picks out are perfectly suited for me. Sometimes he misjudges the size but it is always on the small side so that is completely forgivable.

Anyway, gals if you want your man to know something, waiting around and hinting will not get the job done. Maybe he should remember, but God made men different from women for a reason. When we get to heaven, we might even find out why. For now just love him and give him a nudge in the right direction. It won't hurt a thing and it saves lots of hurt feelings and tears. Trust me on this one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Mr. Diva never has the opportunity to forget my birthday because around November 1 I post my Christmas and birthday lists on the fridge. He knows that when Christmas is gone anything on that list automatically goes to the birthday list. Plus, my continual "You know what I'd like to have for my birthday? You know, the birthday that is in (x number) of days?" keeps him from forgetting.

And our anniversary is on New Year's Day, so there's no forgetting that one either.

I agree, a few hints and suggestions save a lot of tears.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home