Monday, July 24, 2006

Getting ready for School

Gone are the days of shopping for new school clothes and supplies. Nowadays when it gets close to the start of school, I make doctor appointments.

I have already had my eyes checked. It had been 2 years. Oops! Luckily, I don't need a new prescription yet. I do, however, have the beginnings of a cataract. My sister (3 years older!!!!!) is having one removed in the near future so I figured my time was coming.

Today, I went to the dentist to get a crown. It wasn't bad really. I got to wear a nice little nose thingy-ma-jigger that let me breathe oxygen and some other mind numbing stuff. I believe I slept through most of it. I kind of think I snored at one point and woke myself up with a snort, but I'm not sure and I sure as heck didn't ask. I need to go back to see what else needs to be done, but I am the type of person who needs an aching tooth to get me into the dentist's office. It had been a year and a half since he had done some other work and put in the temporary. My insurance ran out for the year so I just forgot to go back. Really, I am a sweetheart and let D get his teeth fixed first.

Next week, I get to go see the "women's doctor" and on the same day I see my other doctor who makes sure that my blood glucose and cholesterol are normal. Then, I'll be ready for school.

Right!!!!! I never realized until I started teaching how much the teachers need vacation time. Trust me. You deal with your own and you love them. We deal with other people's children, and we try to like them. I deal with 20-29 an hour. I do grow to love them, but at times they make it very difficult. Thank heavens for my dear ole alma mater, where I know the parents, went to school with the grandparents, and probably even taught the parents.

Don't get me wrong; I am always ready by the day we start back. I guess it is because I appreciate a challenge. However, one of the problems is that I keep getting older and the students stay the same age. What you thought was original and funny to do to disrupt class is exactly what they think is original and funny to do to disrupt class. I really appreciate when an original disruption occurs. Matter of fact, I have a hard time being the disciplinarian because I want to cheer. Grant you it doesn't happen often but on that rare occasion when it does, I have a hard time not yelling, "I AM PROUD OF YOU! HEY, I AM PROUD OF YOU(CLAP, CLAP,CLAP)." Once a cheerleader always a cheerleader.

One of the things I have done for the last 3 years to get ready to go back is attend GREAT EXPECTATIONS seminars during the summer. Each year I have come away eager to go try some of the creative teaching techniques I have learned. Some work. Some don't. This year my friend, R, and I will be staying at a hotel instead of driving home in the evenings. This way we won't have to get up so early, we have an inside pool to lull around in, and we can do what we want!!!!! I am looking forward to it.

I'm not sure what day we start back. Every year they send us a letter with the details of our inservice days which is my cue to start going to bed at a decent hour and trying to get up at an earlier hour. Seeing everyone on the first day of in service is like the first day of school for kids. We get to catch up on all the "news" and it can get quite loud. Teachers know how to tell others to be quiet but they have a hard time doing it themselves. Go Figure.

Now I have to go finish doing my laundry, packing, and getting ready. So ta-ta for now!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I need to do the dentist/eyedoctor thing, but keep putting it off. The dentist I keep putting off because well, I haven't seen one since I was pregnant with Sam (He's 7 1/2) and I don't want them to tell me I need a filling, but the eye doctor I keep putting off because I'm so dang blind that glasses cost me $500+! I hate that! I like getting new glasses, though. Makes me feel pretty!

I watch kids year-round and there are days I wish I had summers off....but then I'm sure I'd just hound my own children into running away from home or something, so it's probably better that I have other peoples' kids to distract me.

One of my teacher's kids came back today and oh how I've missed her!! And she's learned how to give kisses over the summer! And hit...and bite....and pinch....it's Nick P.'s little girl, so I kind of expected it, though, lol.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home