Saturday, July 29, 2006

Great Expectations!!!!!

I spent Tuesday - Friday in Joplin, Mo. for a Great Expectations seminar. This is my 4th year and once again I loved it. Allan Johnson, our presenter, creates an atmosphere where everyone gets involved and by the end of the week even if we don't know each other's names, we have shared and hugged and laughed and learned together in an atmosphere of acceptance and love. It is amazing. I have many ideas for making learning "FUN". I know that is unheard of, and I am sure that some of the time learning might not be as much fun as I would like it to be; however, I am going to give it a shot.

We learned some square dance moves and the Bus Stop. Oh yeah!!!! We also learned some unique ways to get kids to work together plus we learned some activities that help students to get both sides of their brains engaged before we start teaching. Let me tell you both sides of my brain were engaged but no where close to married!!!! I may have lazy brain syndrome because I almost poked my eye out a couple of times.

I have all of these notes that I am going to have to go over and over so that I can begin to pick out what to start with and how often to add something new. Since I get to start back the 7th and the students come in on the 10th, I need to get myself down to the school to make sure I know what I am teaching and to whom. That's not much prep time but after 33 years of the first week of school, I think I can get myself put together for 34. Those first few days or couple of weeks are mainly getting to know one another, setting up procedures to follow, and finding out where they are.

I found some newspaper articles this summer that I cut out that deal with learning and studying for tests. The results show that most people study and read but don't retain what they need so we are going to spend the first part of the year working on studying and reading skills. I hear them talk about how hard they study and then can't remember anything. I've been there so maybe we can work out a better plan for studying and retaining. I am going to give it a try. Since they are juniors and seniors, convincing them that after all of these years there might just be a better way could meet with some resistance, but hey, I've faced that before, too.

My friend R and I stayed in Joplin at a motel with an inside pool and a hot tub. We got to go out to eat at some great restaurants and then got to laze around in the pool and hot tub before we went off to dreamland. I was so tired by the time that I got home yesterday evening that dragging my body and stuff in the house was about all I could do. Hubby "D" even fixed supper!!! I don't mean he ran out to ARBY'S. He heated up some chicken, fixed some salad and opened a can of green beans. He set the table and all I had to do was eat. But then, he is marvelous!!!! Even Snitz was glad to see me. We watched some TV then I went off to bed at 10. Very early for me. I didn't get up until 9 this morning then spent the day lounging around dozing off and on.

Monday begins the "OhmywordIonlyhaveaweekuntilIstartbacktoschoolandIhaven'tgotten anythingdoneritual!!!!!" I will get done what I can and then, hope it will be enough until the first long week end comes along. I am a slow learner. I did get the name of a good book on procrastination and as soon as I have time I am going to order it and read it and get myself on the right track.

Anyway, I have GREAT EXPECTATIONS and am ready to tackle another year!!!!!!!!!
YEA!!! HURRAY!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

Man, you sound jazzed!! Even though I don't teach, per se, I think I need some Great Expectations to get me motivated! I'm so NOT motivated about anything but sleep these days!! Of course, it's too hot to take the kids to play outside, so we're stuck in here for 9 hours a day....that even wears on a 1 year old!

Happy Next-to-the-last Week of Summer!!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

square dancing?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Neurotic said...

Oh, square dancing sounds tame compared to some of the stuff they've done; next time you see mom, aske her to do the roller coaster for you ;)

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home