Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Checked out the School

Today, my friend "R" and I went to the school to check things out before our actual start date next Monday. A new addition and renovation to part of the HS/MS is in progress and it is quite a mess. It is supposed to be finished by Fall break. RIGHT!!!! When the work is done, it will be quite an improvement. We will actually have a teacher's workroom again. The newer classes are large. I got a new large room the last time the built on and I am quite content where I am; however, those who are getting new rooms should be very pleased. I am not sure where everyone is going to be until the work is finished or how we will have a workable library until the work is finished. But, those things are not my concern. I just get to show up and do as I am told.

Now for the best news of the day, summer or year---

I DON'T HAVE ANY 8TH GRADE STUDENTS THIS YEAR!!

What a relief!!! I have 3 English III classes and 2 English IV classes. Last hour is supposed to be Psychology but the principal said that she didn't care if I wanted to teach something else for an elective so I will be teaching speech/creative writing again. That isn't my favorite but hey

NO 8th Ggraders and No Psychology!!!!!

I can deal with it. I also was told that some students who have not been in regular classes because of learning disabilities will now be in my English classes with a teaching assistant there to help part time. This is called inclusion. I have no problem with this, but I don't know how the students will feel. The literature for English IV is early British which seems totally irrelevant to most seniors, and we do a poetry paper. Last year, I had several English III students who were LD so I adapted the tests and assignments and all were successful; however, they had been in regular English classes before. These guys I know can and will succeed. There are a few that have never been included so they may present a challenge. I try to make the first couple of weeks a time for us all to get used to each other. I make sure that everyone has a chance to start out the year with several good grades. That way as the the year progresses and things become more difficult, they have some good grades to fall back on.

CAN IT BE THAT I AM ACTUALLY STARTING TO GET
USED TO THE IDEA OF GOING BACK?
Maybe it is just not having 8th graders that has me all a dither. Whatever the case may be, I am starting to formulate plans for the coming year. My mind is cluttered with all types and sorts of "gotta try things". I must sort them out over the next few days and formulate a plan. I will only have the students on Thursday and Friday the first week so those days will be pretty well taken care of with procedures, etc. Then, Let the Learning Begin!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Neurotic said...

Congratulations on no 8th graders!!!!!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home