Monday, January 01, 2007

One of the Perks

When I think about why I became a teacher, I know that initially I had great plans to save the world one class room at a time. I now realize that teaching is what I was meant to do. I am totally at a loss as to what else I could have done with my life. I like my job. I gripe and complain about it. But, in the great scheme of things, it is my calling.

One of the perks, and I don't know that there are many but this is a BIG one, is the time I get off. I have been relaxing since about 5 p.m. on December 20. Okay, I did have to shop, decorate a little more, wrap presents, and cook. However, the majority of my time has been spent doing what I want to do.

Thursday, December 21: I got a perm, and then R and I went shopping. We left at about 1 and got home after 10. We shopped, laughed a whole lot, ate, and shopped some more. We were totally pooped out afterwards but we started off our break in a great way.

Friday, December 22: The son came home, we talked, we watched movies, I didn't cook, we ate Arby's, Hubby D came home from work, I went to bed and they stayed up. Another Great Day!!!

Saturday, December 23: We got up late, we watched movies, we went shopping, we wrapped gifts, I cooked hamburgers, we stayed up late, and we totally relaxed.

Sunday, December 24: We got up up late (do you see a pattern developing here?), we watched football, I cooked tacos and made cheese dip, Grandma Ann came over, we ate, we opened gifts on Christmas Eve for the first time ever, Grandma Ann went home, we watched movies, we stayed up late, and we totally relaxed.

Monday, December 25: I got up later than anybody else, I cooked our traditional French Toast breakfast, we ate, we did pretty much the same things we had been doing for the past few days and we totally relaxed.

Tuesday, December 26: We got up late, we watched movies, Hubby D had to go to work, but not to worry, Cap'n N and I managed to relax totally.

Wednesday, December 27: The Cap'n had to go back home :( , Hubby D had to go to work, but not to worry, I managed to relax totally.

Thursday, December 28: Hubby D had the day off. My cousin from Virginia came to town and so my family got together. My Uncle Jay, Aunt Rex, Aunt Wilma, Auntie Earl, and cousins--Jayne and her hubby Jack, Jeannie, Jackie, Susie, J.R., and Hubby D and I, gathered to eat, laugh, share pictures, and talk, talk, talk. Even though I did have to bathe, put on something besides pjs, and go somewhere, I must say I had a wonderful time. The evening was spent relaxing and watching movies.

Friday, December 29: Hubby D went to work and I relaxed some more.

Saturday, December 30: Hubby D went to work and I relaxed some more.

Sunday, December 31: Hubby D went to work, and I actually cleaned around the house, did some laundry, and graded papers!!!!! I do have to have grades finished by the end of the week. I also watched TV, ordered pizza, made brownies and made Hubby D his favorite, red JELL-O with fruit cocktail and pecans. He got home from work at about 11:45. We watched some TV, welcomed in the NEW YEAR with a kiss or two, and headed to bed.

Monday, January 1: The pattern continues.

I like my job and love my breaks. I will be ready for the darlings when they return on Thursday, but only because of these wonderful breaks. Without the breaks, the prisons or mental institutions, or perhaps both would be full, and home schooling would have to become the norm. Just talk to the parents who have their kids home for breaks and see how many of them are more than ready to send the little darlings back to us sooner rather than later.

I like my job, but I LOVE MY BREAKS!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home