Thursday, November 30, 2006

Let it snow! Let It snow!! Let It Snow!!!

I loved snow as a kid. Now, not so much. However, since it is here and I get to miss 2 days of school, let it snow!!!

I never realized when I was growing up that teachers enjoy snow days, too. Who wouldn't like a little surprise vacation in the middle of the year? You can't plan anything in advance. You just get that ever important call and POW!!! WOW!!! ZINGO!!! You get the day off.

I know parents aren't as thrilled as kids and teachers when this happens. Well, since all I've ever done is teach, I guess I have only heard that parents aren't that thrilled. I also am aware that there are some teachers who will grumble about this break because it will break up whatever important lessons they were working on. Trust me . The darlings will learn enough to make it in this life. Kids have been making it in the real world for years. They might have a little trouble getting back on track when we return but so will most teachers. Contrary to popular belief, we are human.

How did I spend my day off? It is late afternoon and I am still in my pjs. I watched TV, listened to Christmas music, and made noodles. Yes, my friends, I took the leftover dab of turkey we had overlooked and whipped up some good old-fashioned Grandma Sutton egg noodles. Hubby D was upstairs on the computer the whole time. When I called him down to eat, he was DELIGHTED. Yep, that's right DELIGHTED!!! Whoever said the way to a man's heart is through his stomach was partially right.

Now, I get to clean up the living room so we can get all of the Christmas decorating stuff out. I really needed these extra days just for that. I love decorating for Christmas but get little if any help from my family. We have even gone some years without a Christmas tree. Cap'n N and Hubby D don't seem to care one way or the other. But this year--- I have the time and I am going to decorate. Someday I will have to write about our unusual Christmas celebrations. "Oh Brown Bean Bag" was a unique Christmas celebration.

I should be getting caught up on my grading while we are off, but I didn't believe the weather forecasters and left everything at school. Darn the Luck!!! Oh well, I can always catch up on them later.... Yes, I've been saying that for the past 33 years, too. I believe it is nice that some things never change.
The other day after I had burst into song in the middle of reading and discussing The Scarlet Letter, one of my students asked if the songs just popped into my head while I was teaching. I told him no. I plan those out. They are all written down in my lesson plans. Read a little, then burst into singing such and such!!!!! Right!!!
"Oh the weather outside is frightful
but the fire is so delightful
The lights are turned way down low.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacie said...

I thought the best way to a man's heart is straight through his chest with a sharp knife. Oh, wait, that's the quickest way.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home