Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanksgiving Excitement---Then and Now

When I was a kid, we spent every Thanksgiving at Grandma and Grandad Dareing's in Miami with all of the aunts, uncles and cousins. We would get up and get cleaned up while Mom did her cooking things. After she finally got ready, we would pile into the car and take off on the 25 mile trip to Miami.

Dad had grown up in the area and knew many ways to get to Miami besides the most direct one which, of course, mom always wanted to take. He would take off and Mom would start in, "Albert, where are you going?" To which he would reply, "Well, where do you think I'm going?" or some other silly remark that would start Mom steaming. He would then start to sing and we would join in, "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go, The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh da,da,da,da,da,da. Oh, over the river....." It became a tradition. This was a regular occurrence for years, and yet Mom never quite got into the spirit of things. Ah, the fond memories!!!!

We kids got to play around outside until dinner was ready. After the prayer, Dad would always say, "Now you kids all run along outside and play; we'll call you when we're ready." Groans all around. After we had eaten, the real fun began. We got to walk to town to the Coleman theater and go to the movies. Yep, every Thanksgiving and Christmas until I was 16, we got to go to the movies. We never checked ahead to see what was playing or what time it started. We traipsed up to the movie, went in and watched whatever was showing. There were no ratings or much of a need for them. The movie would play over and over. You could watch the show as many times as you wanted. Ah, the fond memories!!!!!

We didn't realize until we were much older that letting us go to the movies was a sneaky way for our parents to get rid of us so that they could enjoy a quiet afternoon together. Who knew back then that adults had lives too and liked to have fun without their children!!!!! Live and Learn.

After Grandma Dareing died, Thanksgiving and Christmas changed. We only got together a few more times on Thanksgiving after that. All of the families were growing and started making their own traditions.

After Hubby D and I got married, Thanksgiving became the time when the Suttons got together. His aunt, uncle, and cousins would come up, and we would all get together at Grandma Sutton's. She loved to cook for everyone. Coming from my background, I thought that we were all supposed to bring whatever we liked to share with one and all. I took pumpkin bread, pecan pies, and red Jell-o with fruit cocktail and pecans. This worked for a couple of years. Then, Grandma told me not to bother bringing anything but the red JELL-O because I made the best red JELL-O. For years, my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner was red JELL-O. Yes, while the rest of the world was slaving away in their hot kitchens making all kinds of delicious baked treats, I got to throw together a dish that took all of 5 minutes to prepare and I was finished. The whole family still makes wisecracks about me and my famous red JELL-O. Ah, the memories!!!!

Grandma has been gone for several years and I now get to cook Thanksgiving dinner. A few times we have all gathered here. We have gone to my Sis's and we have gone to Jr.'s. The last time we got together was Mom's last Thanksgiving. All of the kids, grandkids and great-grandkids came but she wound up in the hospital and didn't get in on the fun.

I bake a mean turkey and have a recipe for crockpot dressing that is quite the treat. Our Thanksgivings have become much smaller. Since Hubby D is a nurse, he isn't always off for Thanksgiving. We work around it the best we can. It winds up most of the time just being Hubby D, Cap'n N, Grandma Ann and me. I cook up all of our favorites and then don't have to cook again for several days.

I am up late typing this because I couldn't wind down enough to go to sleep. I am excited. Cap'n N is coming in tomorrow. We haven't seen him since July, and for a mama that is way too long.
I also realized that I hadn't taken my morning meds/vitamins and took them this evening with my evening meds/vitamins. The mixture is not sitting well on my tummy. What a combination late meds and excitement!!!!! When I get home from school tomorrow, my baby will be here!!!! Maybe I should go to bed so that tomorrow will get here sooner. Yeah, that will work.

Happy Turkey day to one and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home