Friday, August 04, 2006

Back to School Clothes

It's that time of year when we have to start thinking about school clothes. Back in the day, at my house anyway, we went shopping and planned out our new "outfits" for the first of school. We got new school shoes, clothes, socks and undies. Looking just right on the first day set the tone for the year, or so we believed.

The big event then was the sidewalk sale which was held the first Saturday in August. Back then Miami had lots of stores, and they waited until this particular day to put everything on sale. Main street was closed off and stores opened at 6 A.M. If you wanted the best deals, you were there bright and early. However, it is not the same since they have moved the sidewalk sale up into early July, and there just aren't that many stores downtown anymore. They now have rides and contests, etc. to get people to come out. Penney's, Anthony's, The Hub, Hunt's, Ramsay's, and Durham's are all just memories to Miami's main street. And, what about the
Woolsworth dime store with the most wonderful fountain cokes in the world. Ah!!!! "Memories, like the colors of our minds, pretty watercolor memories, of the way we were".

Any way, back to the school wardrobe thing. I have been in the process of trying to lose enough weight so that I can fit into my last year's school clothes. Through dieting and exercise(which I am not too fond of),I have finally lost 10 pounds. Yea!!! Hurray!!! Now, I have to go try on my stuff to see if that is enough!!! (Sorry, my poetic muse sometimes takes over.)

This morning I made a quick trip to Joplin to have my blood drawn for tests before my yearly doctor appointment to see how the old cholesterol and blood glucose are. Since Famous Barr is becoming Macy's soon, I went by there to see if I could find some bargains. I got two pair of capris that had been $56 each for only $10 a piece. Wow!!! Now I get to go clean out the closet, try on and plan out what I can wear for the first few weeks of school. Yes, I plan out every day for a couple of weeks in advance so that getting up and getting ready goes a little faster. I am just hoping that enough of my clothes will fit so that I can plan out at least the first 2 weeks.

I have 2 and a half days left so I better go start squeezing all the fun I can into the time I have left. Or, maybe I will just go take a nap.

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I remember the sidewalk sale with such fondness that the thing they put on now on the sidewalks of Main street just makes me cry.

We bought nearly ALL of our school clothes at the sidewalk sale when we were kids, even on up into high school. School supplies, clothes, shoes - bargains galore! As we got older we got to have a friend spend the night and go with us. We'd get up at 3am in order to get ready and be on Main by 5:30, scoping out the deals. New jeans at Anthony's, new Trapper Keepers at Wal*Mart, new shoes at Patton's...oh yeah, those are some memories.

Now...well, it just isn't the same.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home