Saturday, August 12, 2006

Another Brick in the Wall

"We don't need no education." Ah, but you do!!!! You just used a double negative so you said you need an education. YES!!! The TEACHER in me is alive and well and back at her task.

School began on Thursday and as usual our students were "all in their places with bright shiny faces. For this is the way we start a new year"( so I changed the words a little, you get my drift). Thursday and Friday went very well. I have 29 seniors first hour. Another teacher must use my room 2nd hour during my planning period until the building is finished. I have no where to go except the hallway. I hate to have to be going in and out while he has class, but I haven't quite figured out what else to do. I am going to spend the week end contemplating this dilemma. Right!! 3rd hour I have 22 juniors, 4th hour I have 32 juniors, and 5th hour I have 18 juniors. In a small school system setting up the schedule to balance all classes can be a nightmare. 6th hour I have 29 more seniors. 7th hour I had a small class of 8 that turned into a class of 16 which will probably grow as time progresses. When students drop out of athletics or don't play sports until the spring, I get them. I am soooooo lucky. The class is creative writing and speech so I have some leeway in what and how I teach. Most if not all of these students did not choose this class; there just wasn't anywhere else to go. I have, in this class, students ranging from 9th-12th grades. Motivating anyone the last hour of the day can be challenging but this class should be fun. PLUS---I DON'T HAVE 8th GRADERS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

The reason for such large classes has to do with inclusion. This year most of our students who have formerly been taught in special classes will be taking regular classes. An aide or teacher will be in class to help. The work will be modified to try to help them feel successful. The idea is that they will learn more being in regular classes and will get to interact with more students. Some of these seniors were like deer in the headlights. Most of us don't like change, and for these students after years of being in a small class room setting with individual attention, the shock of being in class with 29 or more students can be overwhelming. Two senior girls didn't make it back on Friday. I hope they weren't discouraged. I tried to be reassuring, but they haven't been in very many regular classes ever!!! That has got to be pretty scary. Most of them seem to be adapting well. We will just have to do the best we can because what more can we do?

Most of the seniors have already had me a year, but the juniors are experiencing FUN with English and Mrs. E for the first time. For the past few years my classes have written a class creed to recite each day at the beginning of class. This is my 4th year of Great Expectations, and even though the creed worked well the first couple of years, last year it didn't work work as well. I decided to try a new approach so this year I taught my juniors a cheer to do at the first of class. The creed is supposed to help them set goals and build their self worth, etc. I figured, what the heck, a cheer can do the same. Sooooo being a former cheerleader who never gave up the cheering(I'm loud! I'm Proud! WHS!!!), I took a Great Expectations cheer and used it as our creed. I know right now you are thinking "What a great idea". Thank you.

Their cheer is:

I can (clap, clap)
I will (clap, clap)
I must (clap, clap)
Succeed (clap, clap)
ACTIONS: rubba-dub snap clap,
rubba-dub ugh!! (with the ugh you pull both fist back at the waist)

Yes, I do teach juniors and seniors, and yes, they do look at me as if I have totally lost my mind. However, they did stand up and participate. They are still kids and anything novel that can get their attention for a little while and maybe help build some self-esteem, I'll try.

On Monday the principal will be in to go over the handbook and all of those rules and regulations that must be followed. You know the ones. Those that give students something to gripe and complain about and also give them the will to live just so they can see how far they can stretch the rules. Don't get me wrong. I believe in those rules. They help school run smoothly, and I understand the reasoning behind them. However, as I recall that is exactly the way it was back in the day and evidently will continue until the end of earth as we know it. I always wanted to know why and was seldom if ever satisfied with the answers given by teachers and administrators. I had to accept their answers but that didn't keep me from complaining. Yes, the old adage is true---the more things change; the more they stay the same.

Anyway, my first 2 days of school went great. My reputation has gone before me. Many if not most of my students have parents or brothers or sisters whom I have taught. The word is out about Mrs. E so I don't expect too many problems. I care about them and they know it. That makes a big difference. I now have the week end to recuperate and prepare for my first full week. It is time to go do the couch flop and movie watch thing. Ah, yes!!!!! I do deserve it!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I miss WHS!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love Fairland schools, but there's just something cool about the thought of enrolling your child where you were once enrolled. Although, none of the buildings look the same as they did when I went there! My how times have changed.

My 4th grader came home with a TON of homework on the 2nd day of school! I guess this new guy is bound and determined to teach 'em and teach 'em hard!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home