Monday, August 14, 2006

Here We Go Again

We have had 3 full days of school. And, now the fun really begins. Tomorrow, I will have students gone to take pictures. I will also have students gone who are getting their pictures made. Then, on Wednesday and Thursday I will have students gone selling yearbook ads. Next week is the fair which means even more students will be gone.

The one thing a teacher must learn to do is to go with the flow. My lesson plans are made. Students will miss out. Some will not get their work in from being gone and will want to make it up at the end of the 9 weeks or will claim that they handed in the work and being the irresponsible twit that I must certainly be I lost their work. How do I know this you might wonder. My answer is 33 years of teaching experience. The more things change; the more they stay the same. Let's see I believe it will go something like this:

"You never told me I had to do that."

"I know I did it and handed it in."

"You lost my work!! I know I handed it in. Joe saw me hand it in. Didn't you Joe!"

"Can I hand that in late? I left it at home. What was the assignment anyway?"

"What assignment? When did you assign it? Why didn't you tell me about it?"

"When was it due? I know I did it. What was it?"

You get the idea. I almost wish someone would tell me that the dog ate his/her homework. Wait, last year someone did tell me that. It seems a new puppy somehow got the homework and tore it up. Or, was it a little brother, sister, niece or nephew who tore it up or spilled something on it?

A wise man once told me, "Excuses are just like butt holes. All of us have them and they all stink." I reworded that to make it grammatically correct. The original statement was "Excuses are just like butt holes. Everybody's got one and they all stink." The incorrect one rolls off the tongue better, but it uses incorrect agreement with the pronoun and the antecedent. I am sure you all realized that so I apologize for assuming you didn't.

IT'S the CURSE of THE ENGLISH TEACHER!!!!!! CORRECTING GRAMMAR!!! ALWAYS CORRECTING GRAMMAR!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

I am going to try to be optimistic. This could be the year that all of my students get their work ahead of time(2 girls already have!!!!! Yea!!! Hurray!!!) and hand it in on time. It could happen. It never has, but I am going to remain optimistic!!!!

With our new computer grading system, parents and students are supposed to be able to go online and find out when assignments were made and when they were/are due. They will also be able to check their grades. Of course, the teacher has to figure out how to do this before it will work. I was able to record absences today. I hope that by the end of this week or next I will have figured out how to get the assignments on there as well as the grades recorded. I did get one or two grades in but I have no idea how I did it. Maybe I should be hoping and praying instead of just hoping. Yeah, that sounds like a better plan. All of you might try hoping and praying right along with me. I think I am going to need all of the help I can get.

I know I can do it. I know I will do it. I just have to get the griping part out of the way so I can begin to make significant progress. Maybe it will be good that the students will be gone off and on this next couple of weeks. It might just give me some time to figure some things out. I probably will be staying after school for the next few days. My computer and I must commune with one another until we reach our moment of zen.

I think I need to go to bed and rest up for what lies ahead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I would really like that whole being able to see what assignments were and when they were due. Last year we went through HELL with Abby conveniently forgetting half her assignments. Or if they were too hard she just flat didn't do them. She was only in THIRD GRADE!! I've got to get a handle on her before Middle School... She definitely did NOT get those tendencies from her mother! I blame it all on her father.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home