Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Back in the Classroom

So after 3 wonderful days, I got to return to the classroom today.

Some things never cease to amaze me.

MY First Source of Amazement: I teach senior English. I was grading essays. I have some students who do not realize even though they were taught last year and reminded several times before and during the writing process that essays need an introductory paragraph, at least 1 and preferably 3-5 body paragraphs where the student expounds on the material related in the introductory paragraph, and a concluding paragraph. The preplanning that I encourage students to do before writing seems to be way too much trouble. Their thinking seems to be: Hey, when I can ramble for several hundred words about whatever, why would I need a plan? If I had a plan, why would I need to follow it? If I have 200 or more words, shouldn't that be all that is required? Oh yeah, and what does coherent mean?

My Second Source of Amazement: I found an article in the newspaper about how writing is an important skill for most jobs. I copied it off, and we went over it in class today(once again this is a senior English class). The article detailed how employers pay close attention to job applications and how many jobs require writing as part of the job description. I mentioned that I like to write and that I even blog. The question asked: "Do you use a lot of cuss words in your blogs?" Right!!! I blog just so I can practice using profanity. Why else would anyone blog? HELLO!!!! I know they are 17-18 years old but .....

My Third Source of Amazement: One of my juniors told me today that her goal for this Friday night's game is to yell louder than I do. I don't mean to be loud. I just am. I don't lose my voice from yelling at games or anytime else for that matter. Loudness is my God given talent and I try to use it mainly for good. I would hope that my students would aspire to use good grammar at all times and to incorporate their vocabulary into conversations that show how well educated and intelligent they are. No, they just want to be louder than their teacher. Oh well, at least I have inspired them to try to be good at something.

My Fourth Source of Amazement: Students who never ever ever get it. They are told countless times to not do something and are amazed each and every time they get in trouble for repeating the same offense. These students are sophomores in my last hour speech and creative writing class. Not all of my sophomores are this way just most of the boys. I'm not sure what supernatural event triggered the lack of maturity in this particular segment of our high school. All I can say is that I sure could use some kryptonite(sp) or whatever last hour to subdue these
creatures. They believe that saying "I'm sorry" is all that is necessary. Do they mean these words? Not hardly!!! Do they comprehend the meaning of these words? Apparently not!!! Are they so brain dead by last hour that they don't have enough gray matter functioning to realize what their little brains are trying to tell them? Apparently so!!! The sad part is that today only one of the four was in class and he still managed to annoy the whole class. I had hoped they would mature at least a little from their obnoxious 8th grade behavior. I hoped in vain. Oh well, at least they are better than a whole class of 8th graders last hour. We must always look on the bright side; otherwise, we will go off the deep end and that wouldn't be a good thing.

My Fifth Source of Amazement: I still love what I do after all of these years. I do get aggravated and agitated and downright discombobulated(is this a word?). Any ole hoo, I'm a teacher. That's what we do. We are better than the Energizer Bunny!!!! We keep going and going and going!!!! and doing and doing and doing!!!!! and praying and praying and praying and hoping and hopping and hoping that at least some of our efforts will prove effective and beneficial to our students.

Well, I am tired of being Amazed and must go wind down so that tomorrow we can finish Beowulf with the seniors and do some Longfellow with the juniors. Yep, I am living the good life!!! And this week only has 3 more days. Yea!!! Hurray!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

When they asked if you use a lot of cuss words in your blog you should've said, "No, but you should read one of my former student's! She's really good at the profanity thing!" Btw, did you notice that I've reduced the f-word dramatically in my blog? I do that for you, dear Mrs. E. Because I care.

Frankly, I think that poor student of yours has got her job cut out for her. I mean, no offense, but I'm not sure you can be beaten at a football game. :-)

Although, watching my nephew play Saturday evening I found myself hollering and I don't even know the first thing about football. I kind of got caught up.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Cap'n Neurotic said...

Personally, I'm a big proponent of the ramblin' man style of writing, which is probably because it's much easier to procrastinate and put off writing until the last minute when you don't have to worry about all of that pesky planning.

Kudos for correctly spelling "kryptonite," btw. And, yes, discombobulated be a real word.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home