Monday, September 25, 2006

What a Difference 50 years Makes

The First Baptist Church of Wyandotte held its 100th year anniversary this past week end which gave me pause to reflect on the impact that the church and Wyandotte has had on me. You see it was 50 years ago this past summer that my dad was called to pastor there. We moved with great anticipation. I had no idea what the move would bring, but here I am 50 years later still affiliated with Wyandotte.

Most of the people from my youth are gone, but their influence and impact still live on, not just through me but through the other lives that were touched by those blessed, country folks. We were given love, attention, lessons on life, laughter, and training that would carry us through so that we could take on the task of giving that same love, attention, lessons on life, laughter and training to the next generation.

I came out of my shell when we moved to Wyandotte. I don't remember having a sense of being me until 1956. I don't remember feeling special until we moved to Wyandotte. The church and community gave me a sense of belonging and of worth. That may be why I am still teaching there after all of these years. I like the feeling of belonging. I like knowing the families of my students. I like knowing that I got a chance to teach the children of my former classmates and that now I am getting the chance to teach their grandchildren. AND NO, I do not plan on staying around to teach their great grandchildren.

During the afternoon yesterday, we were given the chance to share our memories of growing up in the church. Listening to all the stories about the saints who went before and remembering their contributions to us, to the community, and to the Kingdom gave me a sense of who I am, of who I have become, and of how important our lives are to those who follow in our footsteps. The thought of people watching and following in my footsteps can be down right scary. The legacy of those people from my childhood, youth and early married life needs to be passed on to the next generation. What a daunting responsibility!!! How blessed we were to have those people in our lives. Brother Paul and Ercel, Alice, Miss Maggie, Burl and Inez, Calvin and Leatha, Lewis and Corine, Irene Arnold, Jeanette Worten, Pauline, Buck and Arlene Kerby, Bill and Oney, Lee and Lila, and the list goes on and on. These people were always there. They were the pillars of the community. They were the main stays in our church. We are who we are today because these people genuinely cared.

I cherish the friends I made growing up there. I cherish the childhood I was so graciously given. I cherish the memories that are so firmly etched in my memory. 50 years have come and gone pretty quickly. I don't think I will be around for another 50, but I truly believe the work that is done by people who are willing to get involved in children's lives to make sure they have the opportunity to feel loved and important will continue. I hope to be remembered some day as part of the legacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home