Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Church of Tom Jones

As I perused the Joplin Globe this morning, I came across an article in the FAITH section that got my mind going again. I have kept my thinking at a very low level since school has been out. I watch "Magnum" reruns, "The Price is Right", "Family Feud" and of course "Wheel of Fortune". None of these take very much thought on my part so I have really had no incentive to blog. However, this article screamed "Oh, my goodness!!! What?", and I felt the need to blog again.

The title of the article is "Church of Tom Jones: It's not unusual...or is it?

Some of you may not have a clear idea about who Tom Jones is or how his show impacted the world but let me tell you---Tom Jones was hot back in the day. He had his own TV show where he sang and gyrated so that the camera could only show the upper part of his body. I knew a girl in Tulsa who was very active in her church and Tom really got to her. I don't think her reactions to him were of the spiritual nature. She blushed and giggled everytime he did that hip/hunch thing. Yeah, we were clearly quite naive back then.

Back to the article...Somehow he struck a cord with a 7 year old boy back in the day and now Pastor Jack, Jack Stahl, uses Tom's music to minister to the world. The article said, and I quote, "His voice enables me to get in touch with the holy spirit and cast out demons. I don't know how it works, I only know it does. It has nothing to do with the lyrics of a particular song. ...It has everything to do with his voice."

When I first started reading this article, the only lyrics that came to mind were "What's new pussy cat, whoa oh oh oh oh?" and "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone. It's not unusual to have fun with anyone." I was relieved to get further into the article to find that he didn't use the lyrics because I don't know about you, but those are not songs I ever heard in church.

This man evidently casts out demons while listening to Jones' music. He has a 24 hour Tom Jones Exorcism Hotline for help "If the devil has slithered into your life." That number is 206-309-0GOD. The church is The Progressive Universal Life Church and is located in Sacramento, California. Pastor Jack dresses like Tom Jones and uses Tom Jones' music in his sermons. He says, "I perform marriages, baptisms, funerals and exorcisms with the aid of Jones' music." The church's Web site is http://www.churchoftomjones.com/.

This man has his own radio show where he preaches and offers online certifications to those who want to be ordained ministers. He has appeared on more than 100 radio and television shows in seven countries.

I'm not making this up.

I don't know about you but to me this is strange. I know that Jesus works in wondrous ways so I am not going to totally count this out. The man isn't touting Tom Jones as a saint or promoting the worship of Jones. If we truly believe that nothing is impossible when we put our faith in God, we have to give the guy credit for having faith and moving on it.

BUT it is strange.

1 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Diva said...

I always heard that Tom Jones made women's panties miraculously throw themselves onto the stage, but makes the demons run, too?

Wow.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home